How do I get my discharge upgraded or changed?

Each of the military services maintains a discharge review board with authority to change, correct or modify a discharge or dismissal that is not issued by a sentence of a general court-martial. The board has no authority to address medical discharges. The Veteran or his surviving spouse, next of kin, or legal representative may apply for a review of discharge by writing to the military department concerned, using Department of Defense Forms DD293 and DD149. You can obtain these forms from your local Veterans Services Office, VA regional office (call 800-827-1000, or from any Veterans Service Organization (VFW, American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, etc.).

Show All Answers

1. How do I get my military records?
2. How do I get my discharge upgraded or changed?
3. What is a Veteran Identification Card (VIC) and how do I get one?
4. What services are available from the Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E) programs (formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) for veterans with service-connected disabilities?
5. Did you know Military retirees should update your DEERS record and Military Retiree ID Card when eligible for Medicare?
6. What benefits and services are available for spouses and dependents of deceased veterans?