The members of the Historical Commission are governed under Town Bylaw, Article VIII, Section 3. Chapter 40, Section 8D of the Massachusetts General Laws establishes local historical commissions for the identification, preservation and protection of historical and archaeological assets of the town. Our commission was established in 1976 by Town Meeting vote.
The mandated duties of a local historical commission defined in Chapter 40, Section 8D are:
- To conduct research on places of historical or architectural value
- To cooperate with the State Archaeologist in conducting surveys and reporting on sites
- To coordinate with other preservation organizations
- To keep accurate records of our meetings and votes which are public information and to file an annual report with the town
- To maintain a membership of not less than three and nor more than seven members, duly appointed by the Board of Selectmen.
In addition to these five responsibilities, we may undertake any number of activities for the purpose of preserving, protecting and developing the historic and archaeological assets of North Attleborough.
Please view the following sections to learn in detail about our endeavors.