- Town Clerk
- Business Information
- Filing A Business Certificate
Filing A Business Certificate
MGL C.110, Sect. 5
Who Must File?
- Any person, whether individually or as a partnership, conducting business under any title other than the complete real name of the owner(s).
- Any corporation doing business in a name other than its corporate name. (This certificate must be signed by a corporate officer).
Upon discontinuing, retiring or withdrawing from such business, or in the case of a change of location where the business is conducted, a form must be filed with the office of the Town Clerk.
- Business Certificate filing: $40.00
- Discontinuance or Change of Business filing: $20.00
Business Certificate is in full force and effect for four (4) years from date of issue.
A new Filing must be made every four years for as long as the business is being conducted. The certificate does not have to be displayed but you must provide a copy upon request.
- Certificate must be in black ink or typewritten. Complete the form with the exception of the expiration date.
- Signatures must be notarized if not signed in Town Clerk's Office.
- Fee is $40.00 (Checks made payable to Town of North Attleboro).
- Discontinuance, Change of Residence, Change of Location of Business, Withdrawal, or Deceased from Business or Partnership the fee is $20.00. Follow #1 & #2 above and return to the North Attleboro Town Clerk's Office.
- If you wish to receive a certified copy of the Business Certificate, please enclose a SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED envelope.
Violators of these provisions shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred ($300.00) dollars for each month during which said violation continues.
A business certificate does not give you permission to operate your business; it only registers your name. It is your responsibility to obtain all appropriate permits and/or licenses for your business from the Building Department, Board of Health, and/or other licensing authorities.
Filing a Business certificate with the Town Clerk merely allows consumers and/or creditors to identify the name(s) of the actual owner(s) of a business. It does not protect your name as a corporate filing or a trademark does.
Any questions please call the Town Clerk's Office at (508) 699-0142.