The bell was purchased by the town on June 26, 1903 and installed in the Falls Fire Barn tower. It was removed from the tower in 1977 due to structural weakness, and relocated to a ground-level site at the Kelley Boulevard Fire Station.
At the Kelly Boulevard site, the Bell is somewhat reminiscent of the Liberty Bell. It is held up by V-shaped supports that rest on a brick foundation. There is a bronze plaque, with raised letters, on the foundation which dedicates the bell to the memory of Fire Chief John C. Grimes.