Much of what remains of "open space" in North Attleborough is located on, or near, upper High Street. The Codding Farm at 217 High Street has been the family homestead for two separate families, who both became leading names in the jewelry industry during two separate centuries.
It began with Abiel Codding (1792 to 1881) who married Chloe Daggett (1792 to 1855) on May 21, 1813. Abiel established the 57-acre farm on High Street and became very wealthy. That wealth would come in handy, since Abiel and Chloe had thirteen children.
The third of those thirteen children was Abiel Codding, Jr. (1817 to 1901), who married Anna Maria Richards (1819 to 1899), the daughter of Calvin Richards and Olive Daggett Blackington, on October 28, 1841. Abiel Codding, Jr. was a silversmith who formed a partnership with Ira Richards in 1841. Their firm was called Richards, Codding and Co.
For most of the twentieth century, the farm at 217 High Street was owned by members of the LeStage family - the owners of a family-run jewelry business established in 1863. Suzanne LeStage sold the land and buildings at 217 High Street to the town of North Attleborough.
It was largely through the efforts of a high school girl, Molly Sullivan of 60 Arnold Road, that the RTM was finally convinced to purchase the land for conservation purposes. The North Attleborough Historical Commission was successful in working with a preservation consultant to list approximately 4 acres and the buildings on the National Register of Historic Places on April 22, 2009. This was totally funded by the Massachusetts Historical Commission because of the historical significance of the Codding Farm.
The house, barn and land are under the stewardship of the Board of Selectmen. There is also a private non-profit group who have stabilized the structure of the barn and are working to rebuild it as volunteer time and funding permit.