Located on the southeast corner of Broad and Grove Streets, the John Wesley A.M.E. (African Methodist Episcopal) Zion Church was built about 1895 and has been home to several different congregations. It was originally called the Trinity Congregational Church. That church ran something called a "Chinese Sunday School" in the building between 1900 and 1910.
In 1920 the church at 32 Broad Street was purchased by the Christian Missionary Society and became the First Emmanuel Church. Later it would become known as the Gospel Tabernacle of the Christian Missionary Alliance. The building was temporarily used by the Grace Episcopal Church after their original church was destroyed by fire on December 2, 1929. Grace Episcopal held their services in the morning, while the Gospel Tabernacle gathered in the afternoon. This sharing arrangement lasted until a new Grace Episcopal Church was dedicated on May 24, 1931.
The building was sold again on June 29, 1936, and became known as the Church of the Nazarene. Some seventy years later, on September 13, 2006, the most recent congregation moved in and the building now became the John Wesley A.M.E. Zion Church.