Located at 161 Commonwealth Avenue, the original part of this Greek Revival-style house dates from 1806. Since then the building has been added to, subtracted from, and added to again. Colonel Obed Robinson was the original owner. Together with Otis Robinson, his brother, Obed started what would be the very first button factory in the United States in 1812. This initial factory began in the basement of the house.
By 1826 Obed's son, Willard H. Robinson, pioneered the manufacture of gilt buttons in a nearby factory in Attleborough Falls. Willard H. Robinson now owned the house, which would remain in the family until 1960 when the last family member, Mrs. Willard Robinson Cushman, died. Over generations, additions had been made to the original 1806 structure, the most notable being a south wing and carriage house built in the late 1840s.
Things started going in the other direction when the house was converted into a funeral home in 1963. To accommodate what was then known as the Jetty Funeral Home, three of the building's five tall chimneys, and fireplaces, were removed. These chimneys had contributed significantly to the character of the original building.
The Jetty Funeral Home went out of business and, in 1972, was purchased by Edward A. Dyer. In March 1998 Dyer sold the business to Michael S Lake of Providence, who now does business under the name of Dyer-Lake Funeral Home and Cremation Services.